Friday, January 16, 2009

gemma called me today at work--first of all this is unusual since she has had a cell phone since christmas and is a texting master---secondly she never calls me at work

she is what she said; "mom I have some news"--these are not exactly words you want to hear--but lots of things are flying through my head--like she likes a boy, or she broke my phone--on and on and on
" I started my period today" WHAT????
the last thing I expected to hear....gemma is 11 1/2 and not 100 lbs yet. she is too young to have to go through this every month but...guess her body figured it was about that time.
I feel horrible that I am not there with her--what a mom/daughter moment. she is coming tomorrow tho and we will get to spend the whole weekend together.
what is it about periods starting that makes people excited--I told a few friends at work and everyone was like ooohh and ahhhh
my baby is growing up.....
reminiscing--I started my period when I was 13--mom basically told us where she kept her sanitary napkins and that was it---no explanations, no advice, no mother/daughter talk. I don't blame my mom--she did the best she could and I sitll made it through
I just want to be very open and helpful for gemma at this time and always

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good for you for wanting to be more open and available for Gemma! I was the same way, felt kind of thrown into it ... I have a bit longer to wait, but am hoping I can do the same for my little girl - be there for her through all of that, and available!